Terror suspect Warque Dejene Sar who is accused to be behind Improvised Explosive Devices in the two buses along Thika super highway in Nairobi is led to milimani law court cells after he was charged jointly with others not before court.
BY SAM ALFAN.
A man accused of blowing up two buses killing two passengers and leaving scores injured along the Thika Superhighway two weeks ago was charged in court for committing a terrorist attack.
Warque Dejene Sar is accused that on May 4 jointly with his accomplices they placed Improvised Explosive Devices in the two buses KBT 090S and KAW 027H which went off at Allsops and Homeland areas along the Superhighway.
The court was also told that on May 12 at ATPU offices Sar professed to be a member of outlawed Somalia Al-Shabaab terrorist militia group.
The prosecutor told Senior Principal Magistrate Peter Ndwiga that Sar was recruited alongside other Kenyan youths who sneaked through the border town of Mandera to the home of Al-Shabaab in Kisimayu where they received training on terrorism.
He further informed court that investigations conducted by officers from the Anti-Terrorism Police Unit established that the SIM card serial number 5000124995534 recovered at the scene was bought from a YU agent shop in Kayole within Nairobi.
Prosecution requested the court to remand Sar in custody to enable him give crucial leads to ATPU officers as to where his accomplices assemble the highly explosive devices which have claimed several lives.
Sar was remanded at Kilimani police station where he will undergo thorough screening and interrogation.
He will be produced in court on June 4 for further directions. Mr Ndwiga said the court has taken judicial notice of the frequent incidences of terror attacks which have killed hundreds and maimed several innocent Kenyans.
Five crew members of the two buses were arrested and charged at Makadara law courts and later released on a Sh 5 million bond each which caused hue and cry from PSV operators in Nairobi.
This prompted Director of Public Prosecution (DPP), Keriako Tobiko to terminate the criminal charges facing the five crew members who were charged with failure to prevent murder in the twin bus explosions.
He noted that after perusing the files, the prosecution found no evidence to show that the accused persons knew that there was a design by any of the passengers to blow up the buses.
Last week on Friday 10 people were killed and over 70 others injured in multiple explosions at the popular Gikomba market in Nairobi. The first explosion went off in a 14 seater matatu while the second blast occurred within the market.