HIGH COURT DECLINES TO POSTPONE MATHARE BY ELECTION.

Posted on

SEMA
Former Youth Development Fund Chairman Gor Semelang’o

BY SAM ALFAN.

Residents of Mathare in Nairobi will go to a mini-poll on August 7th as planned.
This is after the High court in Nairobi declined a appeal by former Youth Development Fund Chairman Gor Semelang’o seeking the deferral of the by-election until a suit he has filed is heard and determined.
The electoral body IEBC has requested for more time to reply to Semelang’os petition.
High court declined to postpone the Mathare By-election and instead directed parties in the case in which the former Youth Development Fund Chairman Gor Semelango wants the mini-poll slated for August 7th postponed, to file and serve their responses by July 25th.
Former Youth Fund Chairman Gor Semalang’o moved to court on Tuesday seeking the court to postpone the Mathare by-election scheduled for August 7 postponed.
Semelang’o approached the court under certificate of urgency application on Tuesday seeking a extension of the Mathare constituency by-election alleging that the IEBC had unconstitutionally locked him out from vying for the Mathare parliamentary seat.
Semalengo wants the By-Election delayed on grounds IEBC locked him out of the l race.
Semalango however said in his petition that he ceased holding the CEO position at the YEF when his appointment was revoked by the president on February 27, and his position taken by Bruce Odhiambo on March 1 2014 during the time of the nominations.
Semalang’o who intends to contest in the by election as an independent candidate told Justice Mumbi Ngugi on Tuesday that he was apprehensive that he will be denied an opportunity to participate in the by -election unjustly and in violation of his constitutional rights and those of his supporters.
The Court of Appeal declared the Mathare seat vacant after nullifying the election of George Wanjohi (TNA) on grounds that he was not validly elected. The petition had been lodged by Stephen Kariuki of ODM.
Justice Mumbi Ngugi also directed the parties in the suit who include the electoral body IEBC to exchange their submissions by Friday in readiness for the inter parties hearing next week. In the case,

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s