Member of parliament Samwuel Moroto and four resident addressing the press at Milimani Law courts buildings after they filed a suit seeking orders stop Kenya Defence Forces o[peration in Kapendo.
BY SAM ALFAN.
High court has declined to stop the ongoing military operation in Kapendo by Kenya Defence Forces.
Justice George Odunga refused to stop the ongoing military operation after Kapenguria Member of parliament Samwuel Moroto and other three residents moved to court to on Tuesday challenge military operations in Kapendo area.
The judge said the court couldn’t issue the orders sought in the main petition since they were not properly drafted in the case filed before it.
“The court does not issue orders from the main petition, you should seek the above orders by filing an application before this court seeking plea A as sought in the main petition pending hearing and determination of the matter “said justice Odunga
The four want the court to issues orders restraining the government and the military operation in the area arguing that its violation of right to the area residents.
They told justice Odunga the ongoing military operation in Kapendo is unconditional and total violation of human right and urged the court to hear the cry of people of kapendo for justice and halt the entire operation.
They accused the military for killing, beating and rooting resident’s property as away of forcing the residents to name the bandits who killed the the police and stole their guns.
This follows a massive disarmament exercise being carried out by Kenya Defence Forces (KDF) personnel. Last week, a contingent of KDF, Administration Police (AP) and GSU officers was deployed to troubled area.
The government deployed the military after the killing of 19 AP officers who were ambushed and shot dead by suspected Pokot raiders at the Akoret area and their vehicle set ablaze last weekend.
The killing of the officers brought to more than 30 the number of people killed in the area in the past two weeks with fears mounting in the area that police officers are now being targeted.
Three guns belonging to three General Service Unit (GSU) officers who were also ambushed and their vehicle burnt in the porous Kapedo area between Turkana and Baringo Counties are yet to be recovered.
The herders are said to be dropping the guns at strategic locations where elders pick them up and take them to the sub-county headquarters in Chemolingot.
The operation got underway after the closure of the 24-hour window issued by President Uhuru Kenyatta who toured the area following the killings last weekend.
Prof Lonyangapuo condemned the brutality and demanded that the ongoing disarmament exercise be suspended.
“We condemn the barbaric behaviour in the strongest terms possible. How can you use such brutal force like the one used by the colonial masters to suppress Mau Mau? How can you attack innocent people who are asleep in the middle of the night? This is complete act cowardice,” Prof Lonyangapuo said.
During his tour on November 1, a tough-talking Mr Kenyatta who was accompanied by Chief of the Kenya Defence Forces General Julius Karangi, Inspector General David Kimaiyo and Interior Secretary Joseph ole Lenku said the government will not relent until all firearms in the hands of civilians are seized.
Justice Odunga directed lawyer Felix Mategai to file a proper application before the court seeking the same orders pending hearing and determination of the matter and directed the file to be placed before constition human right division court on the 17 of this month for further orders.