Posted on

T.V seasonal journalist Jeff Koinange,(right) hugs political analyst Tony Gachoka when the two met at Milimani commercial courts for a hearing of a contempt case against them. They were fined 2million each after they were found guilty of contempt of court on Friday 5 June 2015.
TV personality Jeff Koinange and political analyst Tony Gachoka have been fined Sh2 million each after being found guilty of court contempt.
Apart from the two, another Standard Group senior employee Caro Cheruiyot was also fined Sh2 million each in default they be jailed for six months.
The total fine amounted to Sh6 million.
The four appeared before Senior Resident Magistrate Maisy Chesang chambers in Milimani Labour and relations Courts in Nairobi at around 3pm before they were sentenced.
Their lawyers filed for a stay of the fine pending an appeal.
On Tuesday, Koinange who is the host of the popular KTN’s JKL bought his freedom after paying cash bail of Sh200, 000 after failing to appear before the magistrate on May 25 to purge the contempt.
Last week, the magistrate cancelled his Sh100, 000 cash bail and forfeited it to the State after Koinange was allegedly reported to have travelled to Nigeria to attend a seminar instead of being in court.
However, his co-accused political analyst, Tony Gachoka, was present in court.
The court had on March 23 issued a warrant of arrest against the two for disobeying a court order.
The two allegedly discussed businessman Jimi Wanjigi, Sani Mbui who are directors of Kwacha Group during the Jeff Koinange Live show despite a court order barring the discussion.
The two allegedly discussed a defamation case which is in court against the Standard Media Group in which Koinange and Gachoka allegedly linked Jimi to the Sh56 billion scandal of Anglo-Leasing during the shows.
The scandal hit former President Kibaki’s first days in power.
Koinange and Gachoka allegedly uttered defamatory statements in two episodes of the talk show on May 14 and March 12 this year.
In the first appearance in court on May 19 Koinange caused a social media frenzy which called for his release after court bailiffs arrested him in the morning while leaving his Kitsuru home.
Though Koinange was not thrown into the cells, he was held at the prosecutions chambers for more than five hours before being released at around 3pm after paying the Sh100,000.
Koinange who appeared before Senior Principal Magistrate Linus Kassan warned Koinange was told to respect the court saying though he is a public figure everybody must respect it.
Kassan said since Koinange was arrested four days after the warrant was issued, it would be unfair to jail him for the court contempt while he had filed another suit at the High Court challenging their arrest.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s