Three form two students of Stepjoy Boys secondary school when they appeared before Justice Grace Macharia at Milimani law courts for the ruling of an application by the prosecution to remand them for ten day to enable investigations to be completed on Monday 10 August, 2015.
BY SAM ALFAN.
Three form two students of Stepjoy boy’s high school will remain remanded at Tigoni police station for a period of ten days.
Vacation judge Justice Grace Ngenye Macharia, directed that the suspects be held at the station to allow the police complete their investigations into fire incidents in which three students died.
The judge further ordered the station OSC to ensure that there are provided with mattresses and blankets.
The trio who aged between 18 and 17 are suspected to have been the cause behind the fire incidents which occurred on nights of 2 and 3 August.
The students had who appeared before deputy registrar M’s Rose Otieno on Friday ordered that they be held as director of public prosecution intent to make an application to have them held for a period of fourteen days to allow police complete their investigation.
The deputy registrar said that the application by the DPP be argued before duty judge on Monday 10, saying that currently all judges on vacation.
The suspects had already appeared before a Limuru court where the police were granted two days to complete their investigations.
Senior assistant director of public prosecution Mr Alloys Kemo, says in the application for extension of time, saying that from the investigation diary police require adequate period to carry out their investigation to the fire incident that occurred in the school on the night of 2 and 3 of August 2015.
In the affidavit sworn by SGT Maxwell Otieno, says that preliminary investigations reveal that arsonists torched dormitory No 8 which houses 37 students at the school in Kiambu County.
The door to dormitory was locked from outside and those students inside the dormitory were unable to come out.
Its has been revealed that two of the suspected students were hovering outside the dormitory when they were supposed to have been sleeping at dormitory No 4.
The investigating officer says that debris from the fire incident has been taken to government chemist for analysis and the report has been received.
The suspects through their lawyers Eric Kinyua and Robert Githui applied to have the students remanded at the children Home due to their age.
They said the law requires that a minor who has not been given bail be remanded at Child home where there are facilities for care.
The application to remand them at the children home was declined and instead the court directed that they be held separately from other suspects at Tigoni police station.