THREE NAROK WARDENS CHARGED WITH MURDER.

Posted on Updated on

 WARDEN ON MURDER CHARGEJulius Dikirr charged with murder of Sikona Ole Munet at Milimani law court on Wednesday 2 September, 2015.

BY SAM ALFAN.

Three Game wardens linked with the killings of a protestor in Narok during demonstration against the Narok County Governor Samuel Tunai seven months ago have been charged.

Julius Dikirr was charged with the murder of Sikona Ole Muntet on January 26 at Narok County Government headquarters.

Warden Moses Kuiyoni faced a charge of attempted murder of Amos Kosion Losaloi by shooting him during the fracas.

Their co accused, Samuel Kishoyan was charged with causing grievous bodily harm to James Kimpila Ntempei on the same date.

The four denied four counts before Chief Magistrate Daniel Ogembo at the Milimani law court    today morning.

Dikiri who separately appeared before high court judge Jesee Lessit did not plead to the murder charges.

The judge instead directed the prosecution to take him to Mathari mental hospital for mental assessment before he is arraigned in court on September 18   to formally plead to the murder charges.

Director of Public Prosecution made an application seeking to remand the accused until the matter is heard and determined due to security reasons.

The investigating officer Pauline Njoroge in a sworn affidavit states that investigation showed that the accused persons were culpable for the offences as started in the charge sheet.

DPP through Duncan Ondimu said the accused are facing serious offences and if released on bail they are likely to abscond bail and interfere with witnesses who are based in Narok.

“Based on  the seriousness of the offence, the sentence to be passed  if convicted and the evidence gathered so far ,there is a high likely of absconding  by the accused hence them being flight risk” said in his affidavit.

He argued that the accused are licensed fire arm ho;lder and they are still employees of the Narok County Government where the crimes were committed and the witness in the case facing the accused are based in Narok county.

“The accused are based in Narok County and due to the nature of the employment of the accused, there is a high likehood of interfering with witness” said Pauline in her affidavit.

He said the witness in the cases suffered serious injuries which led to serious disability and they are vulnerable witness.

He further argued due to current prevailing volatile situation in Nairok County and considering public interest, bail should not be granted.

He also opposed the accused to be released on bail due to their own security and prevailing volatile situation in Narok County the accused security cannot be guaranteed.

However, the accused lawyer Kangai objected to DPP application saying the issues raised in the affidavit were speculative and the accused learnt about the arrest warrant through newspapers.

The suspects through their lawyer they told the court that they presented themselves to court after they learnt that a warrant of arrest had been issued against them.

Ogembo said he will deliver the ruling on Friday at 11 A.M whether to release the accused on bond or not.

On Friday last week Senior principal magistrate Martha Mutuku said that arrest warrant issued against Moses Kuiyoni and Samwel Kishoyan , but directed that they appear before  Capitol Hill police station on Monday 31 for purposes of recording statements.

Omogeni told trial magistrate, that it’s in good faith that the suspects have appeared in court and it’s upon the court to exercise its discretion and lift the warrant.

Narok Senator Stephen Ole Ntutu and four MPs who are under investigations over chaotic demonstrations late January 2015 warned them to desist from taking part in any demonstration.

the DPP dropped incitement to violence charges against Senator  Ntutu and four  MPs Johana Ngeno (EmurwaDikir), Moitalel Kenta (Narok North), Korei Lemein (Narok South) and Patrick Ntutu (Narok West).

The five were discharged after the DPP found no evidence to prosecute them.

The DPP urged the court to release the five suspects on bond saying he had received information that chaos had erupted in Narok the same morning as residents protested the arrest of the politicians.

During the protests, one person was injured while businesses remained closed as angry youths barricaded roads leading to Narok Town.

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s